The cancellation of the Indian Premier League this year due to the coronavirus pandemic may cost more than half a billion dollars, said a top official. However, the body has not taken any decision over cutting players’ pay. In its 12-year history, this is for the first time the world’s richest Twenty20 tournament has seen a wipe-out. The continuous rising of the coronavirus cases in the country and the lockdown has compelled the postponement of the IPL which was scheduled to start on March 29.
There is no doubt that the cancellation of the match will make a huge loss. Board of Control for Cricket in India treasurer Arun Dhumal said in a statement, “The BCCI is looking at a big revenue loss. In case the IPL does not take place, the loss would be close to 40 billion rupees ($530 million), or even more.”
Mr. Dhumal casts doubt over the possibility of the match this year. Just like several other countries India is eagerly waiting to see a return to competitive international sport which has been dismissed due to the countrywide lockdown imposed by the government to slow down the transmission of the deadly virus.
“We will only be able to figure out the exact revenue loss once we are sure of how many games we have lost,” said Dhumal. Last year, the Duff and Phelps financial consultancy estimated the IPL brand value to be at $6.7 billion. Dhumal joined the BCCI leadership last year alongside Sourav Ganguly and secretary Jay Shah. He also discussed India and Sri Lanka’s match which was scheduled to begin in June, may go ahead if the pandemic eases.
“The safety and health of our cricketers is paramount and any shred of doubt, we will not shy away from calling it off.”
“Cricket Australia are also not in a position to come up with something concrete. A lot will depend on the government and the travel bans in place. Let’s see how they go about it,” he added.