Bangalore: On Tuesday, A software engineer and his wife were found dead in the bathroom of their flat at Pattanagere in Rajarajeshwari Nagar, Southwest Bangalore. Mahesh H 35 and Sheela 30 a homemaker, were from Athani in Belagavi District. They are survived by daughters aged 6 and 4. According to the Police, the incident took place around 2:30 pm when the girls returned from school.
The elder daughter arrived around 2:30 pm and the relatives began calling Mahesh and his wife. After they did not receive any response, the relatives went up and find the flat door locked from the inside. They rang the doorbell for a long time. When there was no response, they informed the police, who opened the door and found the dead in the bathroom. “We have shifted the bodies to Victoria Hospital for post-mortem and informed their relatives in Athani,” said a Police Officer.
Police suspect the couple suffocated to death after inhaling carbon monoxide that leaked from the substandard gas geyser in the bathroom. People trapped inside small bathrooms fall unconscious and die, an officer said. The post-mortem will reveal the cause of death.