A descendant of the Mughal emperor claimed he is the rightful owner of the Babri Masjid-Ram Janmabhoomi and wants the disputed land handed over to him. Prince Habeebuddin Tucy claims to be a descendant of the last Mughal emperor, Bahadur Shah Zafar.
Zafar has offered to donate a gold brick for a Ram temple at Ayodhya. He asserted being a descendant of the first Mughal emperor, Babar, who was the ruler when the Babri Masjid was built in 1529, he is the rightful owner of it.
On Sunday, Tucy said if the Supreme Court handed over the land to him he will donate it for the construction of the Ram temple as he respected the sentiment of those who believed that a Ram temple was at the place where Babri Masjid was built.
The mosque was destroyed on December 6, 1992, by hundreds of ‘kar sevas’ or activists. The 50-year-old man has filed a petition in the Supreme Court to include him in the title suit being heard by the top court. However, his petition has not been admitted for hearing so far.
He argues that none of the parties in the case was able to show documents to prove their claim but he could do so, as a descendant of Mughals. Tucy said he had already decided to give the entire land for construction of the temple.
He visited Ayodhya three times and offered prayers at the temple and pledged the land for the temple during his visit last year. He offered a symbolic apology by placing a ‘charan-paduka‘ on his head.